Building of links for today’s SEO seemed to be more complicated than it used to be. But Google gave as a way of solving it through the Disavow Tool. It was even considered as an answer for penalty removal. The disavow tool should be easily used, yet some web owners seemed to do mistakes resulting in unfavorable outcomes.
Matt Cutts shared in this video about the common mistakes you might be also guilty of. Let’s learn from it one by one.
5 Common Mistakes Why Disavow Tool Leads to Failure
1. Uploading files that are not in plain text. Documents and excel are non-plain text. Matt Cutts explained that when you try to use non plain text files, you can expect some weird things to happen. It is either you can get comments on the URL and unusual syntax. It is also possible that the system will reject the file. Therefore the appeal for reconsideration will not go through.
2. Choosing only the bad individual links rather than getting rid of the whole domain. You must be guilty of it. We might feel bad if we will be disavowing all domains when in fact one link is only affected. However, this shouldn’t be. If one of the links from one domain is considered bad, don’t waste your time looking for specific links instead disavow the whole domain. Because bad links come from the low quality sites and not just from a specific portion of it.
3. Using of the wrong format of the domain. It is like giving a wrong command, so expect a wrong result. You don’t have to include http:// or www. You have to follow format which is “disavow: example.com” and Google will just interpret it.
4. Comments on disavow links .txt file. You must include your comments, justifications and other things you wanted Google to hear about on your reconsideration request.
5. Thinking that Google can save you from every SEO problem you encounter. The main function of the disavow tool simply removes the links affiliated with your website. Again, just the links you can’t remove by yourself. However, it doesn’t mean that it will answer all your SEO woes and worries. In SEO there are a lot of things you may have been penalized for like contents, ghostwriting, etc. Since not all links may be controlled, disavow tool is there to manage links unintentionally built that will create a harm to a website.
The disavow tool is helpful in combating negative SEO and even building links that are considered as unnatural by Google. It opens a room for improvements and reconsideration. It is an important tool because as we all know search engine algorithms count these links as votes to your website. It will be a factor in being on the ranks. However, the function of the tool won’t be maximized if the user doesn’t know how to use it properly. So avoid these common mistakes and utilize the tool effectively.
Also remember this one : it can be a good practice if you are going to disavow removed bad links according to Google for higher success rate of disavow.
Thoughts? Don’t hesitate to share it below.