Have you recently tracked your bounce rate and noticed that there is a sudden increase in top pageviews? If you did, then you may be wondering on what does it mean or if it is really accurate. What if it is not, what are you going to do? This is somehow interesting because your site’s performance in the search engine or among the users might get affected.
Meanwhile, in line with that, I have previously posted about bounce rate and why it is essential to know. And as a simple recall, Avinash Kaushik views it as the indicator of the general users’ experience in visiting your site, or in other words, it is just like saying: “I came, I puked, I left” – just three actions and you need to realize that it must be reviewed since its data is valuable for analyzing the effectiveness of your website.
Although you have see that there is a sudden increase in your bounce rate, but never worry, sometimes it can be due to the reason that the visitor have gathered sufficient information with just a single page, however it is important that you are very-well guided in making a sound conclusion about your bounce rate, and here are the simple and easy steps for you to derive at a right interpretation:
Essential steps before having a conclusion for your bounce rate:
1. Gather the Following Vital and Relevant Information Using Google Analytics:
>Number of Visitors
>Time Spent on the Site
>SEO rankings for important keywords
>Number of New Leads
>Total Amount of Sales Generated
2. Analyze the data and compare it with your goal
Having a clear goal for your online marketing is really necessary because of this reason. It is because you can know as to what extent you have achieved that goal by analyzing the previous and the current data. For instance, if you have discovered that there is an increase in the number of your leads, then logically, it can directly mean that the users are satisfied with what they have experienced in your site; but if it is decreasing, then the interpretation is otherwise for there may be something wrong with your site.
What to do if Your Bounce Rate is Increasing ?
It is very essential that you know the reason why you have an increasing bounce rate. Is it because you have wrong titles or your content is not relevant to them? You may really have a diverse of interpretations, and it can be negative if the data seem to suggest that your website is not “retaining” a visitor. So below are the ways to make the users stay and get interested about your site:
1. Inspect your site’s loading speed – Since most users are not convenient waiting for a site to load so long and it may lead to the possibility that they would just click other site options, it is, thus, important to know or evaluate the speed of your site. If it is fast, then you have nothing to worry, but if it is slow, then you need to do something to make it faster than the ordinary. Hence, every second matters is you care about your site’s performance among the users.
2. Keywords – always make sure that the keywords that you are using are well-researched and relevant to your page so it would be crawlable for the search engine. It is just like asking yourself what keyword will possibly be the term which most users would type in to search for something?
3. Make a website more engaging by encouraging them to comment on your post – in every post that you make, it is always advised that you motivate your readers to comment on what you have written or share something relative to your content. Further, it is likewise beneficial if you create a “comment box” or make an effective call-to-action statement for a user to take time navigating or scanning your pages.
4. Motivate the users to subscribe your newsletter – If you are marketing not only your site, but also other products or services you have such as newsletter, then motivate your prospects to avail a copy of it by offering freebies, etc. It can improve your site’s performance in a way that the users will be more interested to read about the entire pages in your website.
5. Use Internal linking – when you are doing blog post or having any kind of content in your web page, then internal linking is really one effective strategy to reduce your site’s bounce rate making a site more navigational or user-friendly.
6. Make external links to direct users in opening new windows – having external pages is truly helpful in making the users read the entire content or scan other pages in your site. Yet, it is also beneficial since they would not close your site immediately and they can always go back to the post that they are reading.
7. Use sidebars wisely by making them interactive through additional related posts – making sidebars interactive is not that easy, but you can achieve it by adding related posts on which the users might likewise get interested not only in your current post, but also to other pages related to them.
8. Always have a search box – this is truly effective taking into account that it would make your site more usable and user-friendly because the contents will become easier to search for.
9. If you have a blogging site, you can use excerpts for your homepage – by this way, any users who lands on to your homepage will have choices on where to go or read next, and will not just stay or concentrate on the post in your homepage.
10. Have a usable navigation bar – make sure that your navigational bars are noticeable and functioning well so the users can easily transfer to the other pages.
11. Use creative 404 pages – Yes, having a creative 404 pages can influence them not to close the site immediately instead they will find it more interesting to view the other pages.
12. Ensure Readability of Your Content–Of course the important element of the website is the content or the post that you will offer, so it is essential to make sure that everything you have posted is readable, shareable and likeable. Remember that is the one what a user is finding for. Make it simple yet interesting because that is what readers are looking forward to see in a website.
13. Have an excellent website design– Nobody wanted to see a website with clutters, since it is pleasing to the eyes if you will see a clean website design. It is one factor that attract a user to stay and be interested to visit other pages since when they see that the first page they have landed has a clean design what else from other pages, it will truly make them interested to see the other pages.
What if there is a problem with Google Analytics?
The best answer to this question is what Aris Abramian’s provide in his article “How To Improve Your Bounce Rate In 15 Seconds” .
Nevertheless, the key point is that sometimes there are situations wherein a user landed on a page and found all the important information that he needs, and upon acquiring the data, he closes that page and does not visit into the other pages. That action is then counted as bounce and may add to the increase of your bounce rate. Thus, Aris Abramian suggested that it is wise to edit your analytics tracking code because Google Analytics is not always accurate.
It is really very important that you are aware of your site’s bounce rate so you can know the right steps to take in making its performance more acceptable to the general users who may be directed to your website. At any rate, you have nothing to worry about such rate if you always ensure that your site is friendly and of high quality among the users.
Do you have something important to share related to this post? Just share it below. But if you want to gain insights about or solve your problem with your site’s increasing bounce rate, then never hesitate to talk with me.